Academic Catalog 2020-2021

Transfer Credit Policies

All transfer work completed at an accredited college and/or university will be considered for transfer at full value, assuming the courses are passed with a grade of “C” (2.0) or better, provided they are comparable to the Gardner-Webb University curriculum. This work will be evaluated by the Registrar Services staff member charged with this responsibility.

Courses accepted as transfer credit are recorded with grades, grade points, and quality points. However, the grade point average for graduation is computed on academic credit earned at Gardner-Webb University.

Transfer Credit from Two-Year Colleges

Students transferring from accredited two-year colleges may transfer up to 64 credit hours. An additional 64 credit hours must be taken on the senior-college level, with the final 32 credit hours for graduation taken at Gardner-Webb.

Community college graduates with an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree from a North Carolina Community College should see the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement section of this Catalog.

Transfer credit for courses taken in an Associate of Applied Science program in an academic area offered in the Gardner-Webb University Academic Catalog will be applied based on standard course equivalencies. Graduates of academic and technical Associate of Applied Science programs for which there is no disciplinary pathway in the Gardner-Webb curriculum will receive 64 credit hours toward the Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Leadership for their Associate of Applied Science degree.

Transfer Credit from Four-Year Colleges

Students transferring from accredited four-year colleges may transfer up to 96 credit hours. For a bachelor’s degree, the final 32 credit hours for graduation must be taken at Gardner-Webb. Candidates for the associate degree must take their final 24 hours at Gardner-Webb.

Transfer Students Minimum Hours Policy

Students who transfer into the University must adhere to the following guidelines.

  1. A transfer student must complete at least one-half of the major(s) at Gardner-Webb.
  2. If selecting a minor, a transfer student must complete at least nine hours of the minor at Gardner-Webb.

Transfer Credit Appeals

Appeals of the evaluation of transfer credits for specific University course equivalencies or of whether transfer credits fulfill specific major or minor requirements are made by the student, in consultation with his/her advisor, to the University department/school that houses the specific course, major, or minor. In consultation with Registrar Services, the department chair or school dean makes the final decision on course equivalencies and on what meets the program’s major and minor requirements. The decision of the chair/dean cannot be further appealed.

Students requesting to substitute transfer credits which have not been evaluated as equivalent to a specific University course that is designated as meeting a General Education requirement must appeal to the General Education Committee if they wish to have that transfer credit considered as meeting any General Education requirement. General Education Requirement Substitution Forms are available in WebbConnect. All decisions of the General Education Committee are final and cannot be further appealed.

Transfer Credit Appeal for Non-Regionally Accredited Institutions

If a transfer student attended a school that is not regionally accredited, the student will need to follow the guidelines below in order for Gardner-Webb to consider the courses individually for transfer.

All courses reviewed for transfer must be related to General Education or the major subject area chosen by the student. There are currently two ways in which we can review these specific courses:

  1. If any course(s) has recommendation from an agency listed below, that recommendation will be used to aid in the evaluation. In the event the recommendation is vague or unsatisfactory, the Gardner-Webb department chair for the subject area of the course being evaluated will be contacted for aid in determining the full appropriate credit to be granted. The agencies from which we accept recommendations are: American Council on Education, American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, and NAFSA: Association of International Educators.
  2. For coursework that does not have recommendation from the guides listed above, the student must complete the following procedural steps for each course he or she wishes to have transferred:
    1. Produce a syllabus for the course requested for transfer.
    2. Request the academic institution previously attended to submit a record of credentials for the teaching faculty member(s) of each course requested for transfer (a catalog showing degrees earned, faculty vita, or a letter from the academic dean indicating graduate-level work and area of graduate work for the faculty member(s).

These credentials will be reviewed by the Dean of Adult and Distance Education for authenticity and credibility. Once the credentials are approved, the Dean's Office will contact Registrar Services to permit review of the course syllabi for possible transfer of courses.